Client portfolio versus UK electric vehicle ownership densities
ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING
Examples of EVlab output
EVlab – SITE DASHBOARD
case study | EV charging site prioritisation
One of Syzygy’s clients owns and manages several very large shopping centres across the UK with c.66,000 customer car parking spaces nationwide. There are a few EV chargers in situ, the data for which we have analysed. The scale of this parking provision, together with the evidence of increasing EV charging demand, has necessitated a strategic review before installing more charging points to identify the best way forward to deliver a high quality service to their customers. Key concerns being, future-proofing the solution in all aspects (interoperability / expansion / flexible operating platform / robust and easy to use hardware / cost effective procurement / capacity / demand side response / not over supplying at early stage of market / site (capex) prioritisation.)
We were engaged to produce reports for each site, and a portfolio review enabling our client to prioritise, deliver the right amount of charging points at the higher priority sites first and then to put in place a plan to manage the future phases of ‘priority two’ sites.
EVlab, Syzygy’s proprietary site analysis software, has been developed over the past 18 months to enable Syzygy to provide clients data backed analysis to assist with identifying priority sites (if within a portfolio), using either drive time or distance based post code data, the tool can assess how strong the local plug-in vehicle market is and also the make up of that market. This data enables us to forecast the required no. of charging connectors, the recommended connector speed and importantly what the forecast future requirement.
Reports were produced for each site and a portfolio summary showing our recommendation for prioritising sites. Analysis of local market data with Evalu8 helped established the size and specification of charging service required at each site. The output is that the four priority sites have been signed off for full technical surveys. This will be followed by concluding the hardware and operator selection and tendering the construction contract.
case study | EV charging site analysis
Evlab site analysis report examples
Syzygy’s client owns a large shopping centre in the NW. They have a small existing network of EV chargers, currently being used for 2hrs 20mins on average each day. There have been a number of occasions where all bays have been occupied.
EVlab identified the following key facts:
- 3.8% of all UK cars within 1hr drive time
- 11% of all plug-in vehicles within 1hr drive time (13,505)
- Local market share for plug-in vehicles is 7% below national average
- Plug-in vehicle ‘mix’ is in line with national average (40% are Pure Electric/54% PHEV / 6% Range Extenders)
- 12 vehicles/ charger (national average is 9 vehicles per charger)
- Charger usage forecast to reflect UK trend (share of fuel types are the same)
- Site Charging share on public networks is UK is 70% Syzygy used it’s infrastructure forecasting
- Site is undersupplied by 24 charging bays
- Selected chargers at stage one recommended to be 7kWwith ability to upgrade to 22kW (three phase connection required)
- High priority site